China to invest £400bn in water sector

China will spend £400bn over the next decade on helping the nation overcome its water shortages.

Approximately 30 years of industrialisation has left 40% of the country's rivers polluted while the remaining 60% meets only three basic water quality standards.

To compensate for China's plummeting water tables, the government will build more water transfer projects and hydroelectric dams to secure the supply of safe drinking water.

In addition, 10% of local government land transfer fees will be invested in improving water management.

The Chinese Government is also developing a £40bn south-to-north project that will divert water to drought-stricken areas surrounding Beijing, reports The Telegraph.